We're delighted to let you know this new call for submissions is open! Please read through the submission details carefully as we’ve changed some of our guidelines and it could result in your submission not being acknowledged.
Lost Atlantis Short Stories
We’re looking for tales of lost civilisations, perfect societies that withdraw from the world, from the plains of Saharan Africa, to the India of the Indus, from subterranean coastlines to narrow mountain ravines, hidden by vistas of cloud, but enchanting the minds of those yearning for something better, something beyond. They can be utopias in the style of Samuel Butler, or Charlotte Perkins Gilman, or walled cities in the deserts of Robert E. Howard.
Stories of Atlantis began with Plato but the idea of a perfect society, lost to the world, has haunted the speculative mind for over 2000 years. Atlantean tales of Francis Bacon led to the Utopian tales of Thomas More, Charlotte Perkins Gilman and William Morris, and in modern times, TV series and short stories galore.
Submissions to: lostatlantis@
- Multiple submissions are fine but must be in separate emails.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine but you must have the right to license your story in an anthology.
- For accepted stories we pay Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) rates of 8 cents/6 pence per word for original stories, 6 cents/4 pence for reprints.
- We will aim to read each story and confirm its status within 4 months of the submission deadline.
- Payment for the chosen stories will be made within 30 days of the final advertised publication date (see our website flametreepublishing.com for details), although some may be paid earlier than that.
- Submission does not imply the right to publication. Each story will be read and assessed by the selection panel.
- Let us know in your submission email whether your story would be a reprint or is currently unpublished.
Important Notice about Submissions and Guidelines
We're always looking for better ways of working so we've tweaked our submission process to allow us to read more stories, and spend more time assessing the balance of our books.
- Submissions must use the dedicated email address.
- The subject line of the email must be the story title.
- The file with the story must be attached to the email (.docx, .doc or .rtf format).
- The name of the file must match the name in the subject line.
- If submitting more than one story, please submit one story per email.
- The file name of the submission must be the story name only.
- Please just use spaces between words in the title (not _ or - ).
- If the story name starts with A or The, please use it at the beginning of the file name.
- If you'd like to add some details about the story, confirm if it's new or a reprint, or add a short bio of yourself, please add to the body of the email not as an attachment.
- Story length is most likely to be successful at 2000-4000 words, but we will still read stories slightly outside this range.
- If submitting a story that has recently been submitted to us for consideration to another anthology, please state this in the submission email.
- Deadline for submissions is 27th November 2022
The Flame Tree Gothic Fantasy, Classic Stories and Epic Tales collections bring together the entire range of myth, folklore and modern short fiction. Highlighting the roots of suspense, supernatural, science fiction and mystery stories, the books in the Flame Tree Collections series are beautifully presented, highly collectable and offer a lifetime of reading pleasure.
Thank you, and good luck!