We're delighted to announce a new call for submissions which is now open! The theme is Asian Ghost Short Stories – a chance for writers of Asian heritage around the world to explore their culture of ghostly folklore and offer fresh stories. Please read through the details for submissions carefully before submitting your stories and make sure to include the project name in the subject of your email.
Gothic Fantasy Short Stories
Asian Ghost Short Stories
Following our hugely successful Black Sci-Fi Short Stories we're now looking for tales from writers of East, South or Southeast Asian heritage to join our powerful collection of Asian Ghost Short Stories, which will contain new and classic tales reaching across borders, from India to China, Japan to Thailand, Korea to the Philippines, and down through the centuries. The new stories will complement classics by the likes of Yei Theodora Ozaki and Rabindranath Tagore, and could give us fresh takes on such ghouls as Japan's Kappa, Vietnam's Daughter of Hui Bi Hua, Indonesia's Kuntilanak and Thailand's Preta.
With a foreword by novelist, screenwriter and bestselling author of India's Most Haunted, K Hari Kumar, an introduction by ghostly expert and enthusiast Dr LUO Hui, and editorial support from award-winning author-editor and third-generation Chinese New Zealander Lee Murray, this latest offering in the Flame Tree Gothic fantasy series focuses on the richly varied and characterful veins of supernatural lore and storytelling that run deep and wide through the whole region and history of Asia and which deserve to be revived, reclaimed and retold by contemporary Asian voices.
Submissions will be accepted between Friday 9th July and Sunday 1st August – please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org, ensuring ’Asian Ghost Short Stories’ is in the subject line.
Word length is most likely to be successful at 2000–4000 words, but we will still read stories slightly outside this range. Please submit in .doc, .docx or .rtf formats, double spaced, with your name and email address in the footer or header of each page.
Submit stories by email to email@example.com
Fees, Copyright and Other Terms
- Submission does not imply the right to publication. Each story will be read and assessed by the selection panel.
- We do not require exclusivity. You hold copyright, licensing us just for this publication.
- We pay Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) rates of 8 cents/6 pence per word for new stories and 6 cents/4 pence per word for reprints.
- We would prefer to pay via PAYPAL because bank charges to the US and Canada in particular can be crippling for all concerned.
- Payment for the chosen stories will be made within 30 days of the final advertised publication date (see our website flametreepublishing.com for details), although some may be paid earlier than that.
- The anthologies will be published worldwide, available online and to bookstores worldwide, in print and ebook formats.
- You can submit more than one story.
- If your story is a reprint, please include its original publication details in your submission email.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but you must have the right to license your story in an anthology. Notify us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to withdraw your submission.